Middletonia
People and places of Middleton
Portrait advert

Chronicle of events

You are welcome to send me your own articles on historical events in Middleton to be included here. Please send them to me at colette@middletonia.co.uk

1100: St. Leonards Parish Church built
1363: Birth of Thomas Langley
1412: Re-building of the Parish Church by Thomas Langley
1437: Death of Thomas Langley
1438: Ralph Assheton married Margery de Barton inheriting the estate of Middleton
1482: Birth of Richard Assheton, grandson of Ralph
1483: Ralph Assheton knighted
1513: Richard Assheton led the Middleton Archers to Battle of Flodden

1524: Richard Assheton knighted
1524: 2nd Re-build of the Parish Church by Sir Richard Assheton

1548: Death of Sir Richard Assheton
1572: Middleton Grammar School founded
1582: Tonge Hall built
1586: Middleton Grammar School built and opened
1587: Olde Boars Head Inn established
1729: Birth of Ashton Lever of Alkrington Hall
1734: Birth of Harbord Harbord
1736: Alkrington Hall built
1742: Death of Darcy Lever, father of Ashton
1745: Bonnie Prince Charlie took refuge at the Olde Boars Head
1760: Harbord Harbord married Mary Assheton, heir to Manor of Middleton
1765: Harbord Harbord inherited the estate of Middleton
1770: Dwellings in Middleton were recorded as 20
1772: Alkrington Colliery established by Ashton Lever

1778: Ashton Lever knighted
1778: Royal family visit to Sir Ashton Levers museum at Alkrington Hall
1778: Silk weaving was introduced in Middleton

1786: Harbord Harbord became 1st Baron Suffield

1788: Death of Sir Ashton Lever
1788: Birth of radical Sam Bamford

1791: Middleton granted Market Charter obtained by Lord Suffield
1794: Building of Rochdale Canal commenced
1804: Opening of Rochdale Canal
1807: Parish Church clock replaced
1810: Death of Lord Suffield

1812: Middleton luddite riots
1812: First Ringing of the 'Nowster' curfew bell

1819: Sam Bamford led Middleton people to Manchester for a meeting that led to the Peterloo Massacre
1820: More riots in Middleton
1823: Death of Mary, wife of Lord Suffield
1826: Hottest summer recorded for 60 years

1828: Flood
1828: Lees Brewery founded

1833: Schwabes calico printing established at Rhodes
1835: Death of Edward Harbord, 3rd Baron Suffield of Middleton

1839: Earthquake
1839: First railway at Mills Hill

1840: Middleton Botanical Society established
1842: Middleton Parish School built, Long St

1843: Earthquake
1843: Factory worker riots

1845: Middleton Hall demolished
1845: Middleton Angling Society established

1846: Chimney built for Schwabes at Rhodes
1848: Mechanics Institute established
1853: Death of Salis Schwabe of Rhodes

1857: Middleton Station opened
1857: Railway Hotel Built

1859: Middleton Literary Institute established
1859: Middleton Parish School extended

1860: Birth of Edgar Wood
1861: Middleton and Tonge Improvement Commissioners established
1862: Holy Trinity Church, Parkfield was built

1864: Middleton and Tonge public baths opened
1864: All Saints Church, Rhodes was built

1867: St Peter's Church built
1872: Death of Samuel Bamford
1874: Police station opened at Market Place

1877: St Peters catholic school opened
1877: Middleton Guardian newspaper published

1879: Alkrington and parts of Hopwood and Thornham become within Middleton
1881: Birth of Joel Halliwell VC

1885: St Gabriels Church built
1885: Langley Hall demolished

1886: Middleton and Tonge became a borough

1889: Opening of Middleton Library
1889: Opening of Jubilee Park

1892: Middleton Parish School extended
1895: Middleton Albion Newspaper closed
1897: Diamond jubilee of reign of Queen Victoria
1899: Edgar Wood designed fountain installed in Middleton

1901: Long St Methodist Church opened
1901: Census records 25,178 residents in Middleton

1910: Durnford St Secondary School opened
1912: Palace Cinema opened on Manchester Old Road
1913: Royal visit of King George V and Queen Mary
1918: Joel Halliwell rescued 10 wounded comrades during the Great War
1919: Olde Boars Head saved from demolition to site a war memorial
1921: Royal visit of Edward Prince of Wales
1922: Edgar Wood retired to Italy
1923: Tonge Social and Bowling Club opened
1925: Edgar Woods fountain moved to Queen St.
1927: Middleton flood
1934: Middleton Gardens opened October 20th by Councillor J Cockshott JP. Designed by John Pollard LRIBA.

1935: Death of Edgar Wood
1935: Gas tower built

1938: Fountain St baths opened

1939: Last ringing of the 'Nowster' curfew bell
1939: Last through journey on Rochdale Canal before dis-use

1943: First woman mayor elected
1958: Death of Joel Halliwell VC
1959: Cardinal Langley School opened
1960: Edgar Woods Fountain demolished

1964: Middleton Station closed
1972: Middleton Arndale Shopping Centre opened

1974: Middleton merged with Rochdale as part of new Metropolitan Borough Council
1974: Rochdale Canal Trust established

1979: Middleton Parish School closed after the building of a modern school

1981: Schwabes Chimney demolished
1981: Formation of Middleton band The Chameleons


1986: New Middleton Gardens opened April 7th by Councillor Les Worsley.
1987: Gas Tower demolished
1995: Durnford St School part demolished

2002: Rochdale Canal re-opened after years of restoration
2002: Remains of Durnford St School demolished

2007: Tonge Hall partly destroyed in arson attack





Back to top of page

Back to the Local History Page

HOME PAGE